POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That XKCD thing : Re: That XKCD thing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That XKCD thing
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2009 22:00:57
Message: <4a0a29d9@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 May 2009 13:56:07 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>

>> Flying is pretty common for me.
>>

> I've had several dreams where I'm attempting to land a 747 on a highway.
>    Usually I'm successful, then wind up taxiing the plane all around
> town, being careful not to snag any telephone poles.

Mine tend to be without the aid of aircraft.  Just floating/flying,
seeing my neighborhood from a bird's-eye-view.

> NOTE: I have no clue how to fly a jet like that. If I'm ever at the
> controls of such a beast .... :/

Get on the radio and call the nearest tower (hopefully the frequency set
correctly) and ask for the vectors to an airport with an instrument
landing system.  Ask for the frequency of the ILS on the active runway
and the tower frequency (so you can notify the tower you need to make an
emergency landing).  Ask the tower for a precision radar approach to the
ILS.

Use the autopilot heavily to adjust altitude, heading, and airspeed.  Set
the NAV1 radio to the ILS frequency and set the autopilot to use the NAV1.

Set the autopilot also to follow the glidescope.

And make damned sure the altimeter setting is correct.  You don't want to
hit the ground until the right moment.

Oh, and put the landing gear down.  That helps.

(Can you tell I spend too much time flying simulators?  And in particular
747s?)

Jim