POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Completely random and silly questions : Re: Completely random and silly questions Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Completely random and silly questions
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 May 2009 21:51:16
Message: <4a0a2794$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 May 2009 16:25:21 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   But I understand that if you get an overdose of capsaicin, you could
>   get
> severe respiratory problems from the shock, among other symptoms. Not
> that the capsaicin itself would cause the respiratory problems, but how
> it affects pain receptors.

Capsaicin is a toxin and not just an anesthetic - too much without a
tolerance can cause severe problems and can in fact be lethal.

Handling of pure capsaicin requires the use of hazardous materials
protection gear.

Lethal doses of pure capsaicin that I've read about are about 47 mg per
kg of the victim.

Jim