POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Completely random and silly questions : Re: Completely random and silly questions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Completely random and silly questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 May 2009 17:32:09
Message: <4a09ead9$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> An entire TWO HOURS later, my lips, mouth, throat and stomach were still
> numb.

This property actually has medical uses, and capsaicin is occasionally
used to cause as an anesthetic, where it has the advantage that the
effects can last for a long period of time.  It's applied to an area
already treated with a short-term local anesthetic of course (otherwise
I think the cure would be worse than the disease!)  Aparently it works
by basically over-exerting and depleting the pain receptors in the area.

Note, of course, that the concentrations used for this would be vastly
greater than those on your pizza, so you can imagine how the numbness
could last for quite a while.

As a side note, I've actually eaten (very small) amounts of a hot sauce
which was essentially a 50% capsaicin solution.  It's unbelievably hot
stuff, and if you've only had jalapenos and such it's literally
difficult to imagine how strong it is.  Needless to say I don't try that
sort of thing often.