POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stupid question of the week : Re: Stupid question of the week Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question of the week
From: Darren New
Date: 12 May 2009 16:54:13
Message: <4a09e1f5$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Unless you have an example of a UNIX file system whose permissions are
>> comparable to NTFS's? If you do, let me know, because that would be
>> awesome.
>
> There ARE ACL systems for Unix.

Yes, but still based on the UID, on root having all access, and so on. And
as far as I can tell, no per-file encryption, no inherited permissions.

For example, when I can unplug a USB drive off one Unix system and plug it
into a different one and Fred (uid 1002) can't get to Jane's files (also uid
1002) on the USB drive, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Is there anything
already in Linux or whatever to make that work?

Does the Linux equivalent of "active directory" (which was Kerberos last I
looked) interact with the local file system well?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)