POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 12 May 2009 12:49:56
Message: <4a09a8b4$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> 1) Legally, unauthorized copying is currently outlawed.

... here.

Remember there are plenty of places (including for example Spain) where
sharing such files without profit isn't illegal.

> 2) Technologically, there is no practical way to impede the illegal
> copying of unauthorized materials.  Making a digital copy is so
> incredibly easy (especially compared to stealing a tangible item, such
> as a car, or even something as small as a tomato) that any attempt to
> place a technical limit on it has, and will continue to, fail horribly.

No matter the technical limitations, there are two things working against DRM:

1) The legitimate user has to be able to produce the content. It's not a
cryptography problem, where you're defending against someone who shouldn't
see the content.

2) Once it's cracked, it's easy to distribute the cracked form vs the
hard-to-crack form, so it only takes one person to crack the DRM.

> in fact, if anything artists are currently being
> undercompensated by the very corporations masquerading as their advocates.

I saw lawsuits where the artists are suing the labels because the labels
aren't paying them anything from the Apple store, for example.

> will apparently soon go away with the revenues again returning to the
> creators of the music (the writers and performers).

We can only hope. What was the group that put up their new album online a
few months ago for free, asked for a donation of "what you think it's
worth", and brought in many-fold the amount of money they would have selling it?

Heh heh heh...
http://torrentfreak.com/donate-your-piracy-savings-to-reduce-poverty-081015/

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)