POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL'd at myself : Re: LOL'd at myself Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL'd at myself
From: Darren New
Date: 11 May 2009 16:38:10
Message: <4a088cb2@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's not the .net runtime which is running the program.

You really, really ought to read the article I linked to, where they
actually describe what they did.

Answer: No. If you compile C++.NET to CIL, then it's the .NET runtime
running the code. If you don't compile it to CIL, then you get none of the
advantages of .NET such as the ability to link to other functions that are
compiled to the CIL such as those written in C#. You can of course compile
some to CIL and some to native instructions, so this is a bit simplified.

You also lose some features of C++ that aren't supported by the CLR.

Otherwise, why would you have a 15% speed penalty?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)