POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help With Outlook Express : Re: Help With Outlook Express Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help With Outlook Express
From: Chris Cason
Date: 11 May 2009 02:46:50
Message: <4a07c9da$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Thinking about it a little more, I wonder what would happen if he used
> the server's IP address rather than the DNS name.

Nothing different: the firewall doesn't even get to see the name. By the time
the packet reaches the firewall, the IP address has already been determined
(done by a DNS lookup on the client PC). Most likely the firewall admins have
specifically added a rule to allow access to the Microsoft news groups. It's not
uncommon for corporate firewalls to not allow access to NNTP in general.

-- Chris