POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Darren New
Date: 10 May 2009 19:26:18
Message: <4a07629a$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed explanation. To be frank, I believe that right
> now this is more a political issue (in the general sense) than a
> technical one.

Agreed.

> This will last for a while, but the truth is that the whole
> copyright system, which made sense when all goods were tied to physical
> objects, has been gutted by digital technology and rendered useless.

Also agreed. I think that's the fundamental problem right there.

For example, you're probably technically violating copyright law by reading
this message. It's created copyrighted, and I haven't explicitly given you a
license to download a copy from the server. If I want google to not save a
copy of my web pages, I have to explicitly change what I write to include
instructions to google to tell them not to reproduce modified derivative
versions of my copyrighted works.

While I think artists should be paid for their work, suing search engines is
a hack. I'm also against things like regulating antihistamines because some
people make dangerous drugs from it. If you can't catch the actual
law-breaker, it's probably a bad law to punish the otherwise-legal precursors.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)