POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: Warp
Date: 10 May 2009 09:43:55
Message: <4a06da1b@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> What I don't understand

  That's rather clear.

> is, when the
> music/entertainment industry seeks to protect their copyrights, they become
> big evil corporate bullies. Yet, you complain that the software industry
> does not go the same distance to protect their rights. Many here I assume
> are developers, yet vehemently and unexplicably oppose copyrights. Is it a
> not-built-here syndrome? Would tables be turned if it were the software
> industry that united to protect their rights?

  The problem is that *governments* have their priorities all messed up
because certain industries lobby them to overly protect certain things
which are not *that* important, while other, way more important things
don't get almost any (actual) protection at all.

  Governments in many western countries are allowing non-governmental
organizations to act in very governmental ways, such as imposing fines
and taxes on people. These organizations are sometimes doing things which
in a different situation would put them in jail, such as harassing and
extoring people. And all this because of what? Music? And the government
turns the blind eye on this.

  The priorities are completely messed up. There are things which would
need stronger protection much more urgently than some f***ing music. Who
cares about music? Commercial music making could just die, for all I care.
Who would miss it? (Besides, that would certainly not kill music making.
People have been composing music from the dawn of time, without any kind
of protection or monetary incentive.)

--
                                                          - Warp