POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The next evolution in P2P : Re: The next evolution in P2P Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The next evolution in P2P
From: scott
Date: 10 May 2009 05:23:16
Message: <4a069d04@news.povray.org>
> I'm guessing that with the move to DHT and the take-down of the Pirate
> Bay, the next step is going to be to decentralize or at least plausibly
> deny-ify the actual searching. I.e., you won't be able to tell what's in a
> torrent until you download the torrent.
>
> An easy way to do this would be to have data streams have descriptions of
> their contents at the start, and have the searchable torrents contain just
> a bloom filter full of bits.
>
> In other words, the .torrent file would have a name that's the hash of the
> .torrent file, and a section that has the bloom filter bits for the first
> file in the torrent data stream. The first file in the torrent data stream
> would contain the information that you'd be able to search on, like the
> names of files (i.e., the manifest), the descriptions of the content, the
> lyrics (for music), and so on. Then, to do a search, you plug in what
> you're searching for, find the .torrent files with bloom filter bitmaps
> that match your search terms, then connect to the appropriate sharers to
> fetch the first few blocks of each matching torrent-data-stream to see
> what is in the torrent.

Wasn't Google/YouTube forced to actually search for illegal material and
remove it from search results?  What's to stop the same being enforced on
any bitTorrent search site with your scheme?

It seems to me the technicalities of how the search is done is not going to
matter, if it seems like any site is returning lots of links to illegal
files (no matter how contrived the link process is) then they will be forced
to remove the links or shut down.