POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help With Outlook Express : Re: Help With Outlook Express Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help With Outlook Express
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 May 2009 14:59:12
Message: <4a048100$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 08 May 2009 14:38:24 -0400, EricG wrote:

> I tried the same telnet command with msnews.microsoft.com, and it worked
> just fine.  I can't detect any difference in the way the two newsgroups
> are set up in Outlook express.  They are both using port 119.

If you can't telnet to the port on the server, it's not an Outlook
configuration issue - it's a communications issue.  So as long as you've
spelled the server's name correctly (and it is news.povray.org, so it
seems that that can be ruled out), there isn't anything you can change in
Outlook that will correct the problem.

Think of it like driving a car to an island.  If there's exactly one
route on the roads to get to the island (over a bridge) and the bridge
isn't open, the type of (non-amphibious) car you're driving won't matter,
because the fundamental problem is that the bridge is closed.

So the first step is to get the bridge opened.

> Can a firewall filter certain NGs out (maybe that have ".org" in them
> instead of ".com")?

Possibly; you'd have to ask your firewall administrator.

Jim