POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Freedom House and Italy : Re: Freedom House and Italy Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Freedom House and Italy
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 8 May 2009 11:56:25
Message: <4a045629@news.povray.org>
Nothing to add - other than to say that I hear the exact complaints from
the left that you're making here - with as little to actually _support_
what they say as you have provided.

It's pointless to argue with both crowds over perceived anecdotes. Bring
statistics and then we'll discuss.

John VanSickle wrote:
> [...]
>> being ignored) when they march for various things.
>
> Odd, given that just about every march they have gets into the news and
> receives, at the very worst, neutral treatment.
>
>>     I have a feeling you're suffering from selection bias.  You follow
>> activities you care about, and notice the various "injustices" against
>> your side. When things happen on the other side that the media ignores,
>> you probably don't hear about it because you're not in the other camp.
>
> Except that the media doesn't ignore them.
>
>> Additionally, if the media ever does represent your side, you don't view
>> it as a positive and may not even notice - you just think they're
>> telling the truth and that's it. Ditto for the other side.
>
> No, I do observe it as being on my side.  Believe me, the instances are
> so rare I *do* notice them.
>
>>     From my experiences, talk radio is as bad if you want something
>> _representative_ of the people. The problem with it is that they are
>> almost always *opinions*, which are not backed up by facts. And when
>> they back them up with facts, they're often wrong, or out of context. Or
>> they conveniently don't mention facts and stats that go counter to their
>> view. And when someone tries to point out to them that what they claim
>> as facts aren't, the throw a whole tantrum about media conspiracies.
>
> This would be interesting, if it resembled what I actually hear when I
> tune in to talk radio.
>
>> The
>> only way they're "better" is that at least it's openly opinion - as
>> opposed to news agencies who claim being unbiased.
>
> There is no need for the quotes you just used.  Being honest is better.
>
>>     But "populist" they are not. I've lived in states on both sides of
>> the
>> spectrum, and you have to go a _long_ way to find someone who actually
>> shares their opinions.
>
> Heh.  I run into people who share their opinions all the time.
>
>>     There's a problem with all these formats - including the Internet.
>> Given the *choice*, most people (at least in the US) will gravitate to
>> listening to only those sources that reflect their opinions. Most people
>> don't want the truth - they just want the truth that agrees with their
>> own world view - and they want to find an authoritative agency that
>> "backs them up". So the various agencies in the media cater (what do you
>> expect - there's money in it). So it's quite normal for me to find a
>> bunch of people listening only to a few sources - and a different bunch
>> listening to some other sources, and a third bunch doing likewise, and
>> their sources don't have any intersection. Those sources will frequently
>> report the truth that those people want to hear, and conveniently omit
>> truths that go counter to their audience's view. It's true for radio,
>> for news channels, and probably for print.
>
> And this is worse than a centralized source, broadcasting only one view?

until you hear them speak.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl