POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Albedo in PoV-Ray? : Albedo in PoV-Ray? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Albedo in PoV-Ray?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 6 May 2009 05:05:54
Message: <4a0152f2$1@news.povray.org>
High!

During the process of getting together the astronomical data for my
Solar System project ("PoVSolar"), I usually also find albedo values for
the various planetary objects.

Now my question: as the albedo value gives the percentage of incoming
light reflected from a body, is it correct to assume that HSL brightness
values directly correspond to albedo (I know that there are different
ways to compute astronomical albedo, but for the time being, I would
stick to the basic definition), so that a dark grey asteroid with an
albedo of 0.04 would be best modeled as rgb 0.04? (Yes, I've also
already heard of a PoV macro to convert HSL vectors into RGB vectors,
within colors.inc, if I remember correctly...)

How can I adjust the overall (=average) brightness of a bitmap texture
to a certain value? Can it be done within PoV-Ray or should I better
relay on GIMP to do this?

See you in Khyberspace!

Now playing: I've Been Losing You, Extended Mix (a-ha)

Yadgar