POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Post POV? : Re: Post POV? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post POV?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 May 2009 17:58:34
Message: <4a00b68a$1@news.povray.org>

news:web.49f9937ffb2e5f1ac59235590@news.povray.org...
> I've been monitoring the POV-Ray newsgroups for nearly a decade, and I've
> seen a
> number of prolific users come and go.  I'm curious what software POV-Ray
> users
> tend to migrate toward after they 'move on'.  Do most convert to high-end
> render packages (I think H.E. Day did this), or is there another
> open-source
> package that eventually steals away the POV community?
>
> I wonder if such users 'outgrow' POV-Ray as an artistic tool, or whether
> they're
> mostly casualties of 'lack of time' syndrome (as I perpetually seem to
> be).

Jim gave an accurate account of why I "left" POV-Ray so there's little to
add. Modelling complex objects in SDL is extremely challenging so at one
point I decided to move to a full 3D package where I could do more "drawing"
than coding (and my coding skills are just not good enough to really push
the envelope anyway, so I could feel the "gap" too). I first learned Blender
but even though I eventually managed to model and render things I didn't
like the experience, so I moved to a commercial package (Cinema 4D). I added

moved to Softimage + MentalRay.
Note that I'm still using POV-Ray once a week or so thanks to the people who
keep sending me questions as a TAG member!

G.