POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) : Re: scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF)
From: Mike Williams
Date: 22 Jun 2004 13:00:00
Message: <4SJiKAABEE2AFwMU@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it SomeOne who wrote:

>After a long introduction, here's my question.
>I recognise the same "problem" with POV-Ray that we encountered with
>BSpice/Nutmeg. It seems no more than logical that someone already developed a
>small program (a la Cinnamon) that would generate a scene-specific include-file
>resulting in faster processing of the scene and perhaps also faster rendering.
>
>1. Does such an application exist? If yes, where can I find it?
>2. Is it possible to include such functionality in POV-Ray?

If I unnecessarily #include every one of the standard .inc files, then
it only adds 1 second to the parse time on my (rather slow) machine and
1.5 megabytes to the peak memory used.

Developing a program that you perform the task you mention would be
quite a substantial effort. It would have to be able to parse POV SDL in
order to work out which bits of the include files were actually being
referenced. I'm sure there are many easier ways to slice the odd second
off large renders.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure