POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Difference Small objects and Glass Cube : Re: Difference Small objects and Glass Cube Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference Small objects and Glass Cube
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 Sep 2004 01:42:21
Message: <4IECcXAvB+QBFw5+@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Warp who wrote:
>nomail@nomail wrote:
>> I wolud like to make a scene with many (about 10000 objects (spheres).
>> Those spheres will be in union like one object: a that object will be in
>> difference with box:
>
>  Slightly beside the point, but be aware that unfortunately that's one
>of the slowest form of CSG in POV-Ray (ie. one of the most pathological
>cases with regard to rendering speed).
>  There are several tricks to work around this speed problem and which
>give the same result, but I don't remember specifics right now.

Read all about the problem, and a couple of tricks for getting round it,
on my pages
<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm>
<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/holes2.htm>

Since you're working with simple shapes (box and sphere), the isosurface
method might code quite nicely.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure