POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: andrel
Date: 24 Jan 2011 12:30:00
Message: <4D3DB72C.1030005@gmail.com>
On 24-1-2011 10:26, Invisible wrote:
> On 22/01/2011 10:48 PM, andrel wrote:
>
>> There is also the problem of finding an artist if I don't yet know
>> her/him. What seems to be missing from the whole IP debate is the role
>> of the person that recommends the music/book/fashion. These people are
>> vital, but how do we pay them for sifting through the bulk of mediocre
>> stuff?
>
> Yeah, there is the argument that by "illegally" showing people music or
> whatever that they didn't pay for, they might well go out and buy a copy
> themselves.

That is not what I meant. I meant DJ's (the old fashioned ones that know
what they play in stead of just working from a play list) and record
shop owners. The ideal model for the latter is that
- you come into the shop
- they either know you or you tell them what sort of music you like
- they recommend some music to try.
- they play you some examples
- you make a selection from their recommendations
- you buy those
- they get a commission
- everybody happy

(Yes, I know a shop that works that way. Even to the extend that I can
tell people that want to give me a present (happens about once a year)
to go there and tell it is for me).

That is a model that should also work on the internet (and not only for
records but also for books and fashion), yet I have the feeling that it
won't. The commission is the most likely problem. That should come from
the record company and I don't see that happening. But if it is paid by
the customer, they will take the advise and buy on amazon.
Related to that. Last year I was helping out at a concert in Alkmaar
(http://www.leidsekoorboeken.nl/en/the-project/the-leiden-choirbooks-eng.html)
part of what we did was selling the CD's. You could also buy them at the
internet in a big store, where they were cheaper than what the group had
to pay themselves to sell them to the audience. To cite someone: WTF?

> I still find it slightly weird that if I ask a friend to copy a CD for
> me, that's illegal. But if I turn on my radio and listen to the exact
> same music, that's completely legal. Either way it costs me nothing, and
> it's the exact same music. WTF?

One difference is that on the radio you hear it once with some talking
over in general, whereas from your friend you get the entire thing to keep.