POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Survey : Re: Survey Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey
From: andrel
Date: 16 Jan 2011 07:15:40
Message: <4D32E17A.6030900@gmail.com>
On 16-1-2011 3:06, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> The government is not out to get me. That concept strikes me as rather
>> American.
>
> OK. I think that a lot of the bad feelings in the USA about the
> government falls along the lines of "the supreme court elected bush, not
> the people", or "corporations bribe the politicians", or that they're
> only interested in how much money and power they can get and not in
> doing the job, stuff like that. I.e., the politicians aren't doing what
> they were elected to do, so it doesn't really matter who you elected.
> They're working for the greedy folks who are taking your money and health.

Part of your problem might be that there is no real debate because that
does not sell the advertising minutes. It is much easier to keep your
consumers looking by telling them that what they already thought is true
(irrespective of if that is true or not, broadcasting companies have
only a moral duty to their shareholders). In Europe it is not as bad as
in most countries there is still also a public funded politically
independent broadcasting system. Yet also here there is too often no
real debate, I agree with Warp on that.

> I just wondered if this was just an exaggerated view of what others also
> experience, or if my memories from decades ago thinking the government
> while perhaps misguided was at least trying were due to me not following
> politics as much.

sorry, can't parse that.