  Re: Molecular biology
From: andrel
Date: 8 Jan 2011 18:03:02
Message: <4D28ED28.1000804@gmail.com>
On 8-1-2011 23:09, Warp wrote:
> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom>  wrote:
>> A modern way would be to assume that there are 3 space dimensions and
>> one time, with a distance between 2 points defined by x^2+Y^2+z^2-ct^2
>> (though I am not sure if that was a necessary assumption, it has been a
>> long time).
>> Investigate what happens if in this universe laws have to be invariant
>> for translation and rotation.
>> That will give you Lorentz contraction and Maxwell's equations, and
>> light that propagates with lightspeed. But that is just maths and not
>> science. ;)
>
>    AFAIK you have to assume c to be constant to all (inertial) observers
> in order to deduce the Lorentz transformations, not the other way around.
> (The deduction isn't actually all that complicated.)

There are more ways to get the same result. You give the traditional
method. The one I described here works the other way around. You assume
a 4 dimensional universe and the rest follows from that. E.g. Maxwell's
equations and a constant light speed are a property of that space, as
strange as it sounds.
Note that it is all maths until the moment that you postulate (or
observe) that our universe actually has 3 space and 1 time dimension.

When my teacher did exactly this on the blackboard it was almost a
divine revelation for me. For days I was like 'wow' and Genesis 1:3 has
never had the same feeling again. I know people use Maxwell's equations
and add 'and there was light'; you can get t-shirts with that text. In
reality it is even much deeper, you only need space and time. Genesis
1:3 is a direct consequence of Genesis 1:1, it is totally superfluous.