POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism : Re: Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Germ Theory Denialism
From: andrel
Date: 22 Dec 2010 05:14:22
Message: <4D11CF82.8060309@gmail.com>
On 22-12-2010 8:05, Warp wrote:

>>>     While protecting the rights of *everybody* equally.
>
>> Yes, that is what that means. Many people find it useful to stress it
>> this way to make clear that even in a democracy there are bounds to what
>> is acceptable to put into laws even if you have 50%+1 of the votes.
>
>    The problem is that when some people stress that notion too much,
> they start showing preferential treatment for some groups of people,
> effectively discriminating others. When this happens to a politician
> passing laws or judges passing verdicts, it's a problem.
>
>    And yes, that *is* happening. It's not purely theoretical.

Indeed preferential treatment (but not discrimination*) is happening and
that is as it should, reread e.g.Darran's posts to understand why.

Last night I was thinking of starting this thread from scratch, perhaps
it is more logical do do it here.

-------------------fresh start-----------------
Assume you have a village in a hypothetical country with two
highschools. A: a general one with 40 student per class in an old
building in the middle of town. And B: one with one staff member per 10
students, a sporting facility, a laptop computer for every student etc.
It turns out that most students from A go and work in a factory or on
the land, only 10% go to a university and on average perhaps only one of
them to a high ranking one. From B 60% go to a university half of them
to a good one.

The yearly fee per student is just the total cost (salaries/maintenance)
divided by the number of students. It turns out that B is 5 times as
expensive as A. You, me nor anybody else is surprised that the net
effect is that only kids from middle and high income parents are going
to university.

Someone proposes that that is not fair and also intelligent kids from
poor parents should have a chance to study. That there should be a
passing exam for school B and that the fees should depend on the income
of the parents.

Somebody else complains because this is preferential treatment and
discrimination of the rich as their chances to go to university will be
lowered.

Moral of the story: In a society with different social groups you can
either have equal treatment or equal chances.

Observation: most, if not all, civilized countries go, at least
officially, for equal chances.

*) The goal of a non-discriminatory society is often worded as: treat
equal cases equal, and non-equal cases non-equal. What you seem to
advocate is a much more rigid interpretation: treat all cases equal
regardless of whether they are equal or not.