POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really deep Mandelbrot zoom : Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really deep Mandelbrot zoom
From: andrel
Date: 1 Nov 2010 15:45:10
Message: <4CCF18C8.4070701@gmail.com>
On 1-11-2010 3:36, Slime wrote:
> I find it interesting that at the beginning of the movie, it zooms into
> largely repetitive areas of the fractal (fringe areas where very similar
> features are repeated over and over next to each other), and then for
> the last two thirds, it zooms into one specific point of interest.
> During the second part, you can see wheels with spokes, and the number
> of spokes increases, slowly at first and then very quickly until the end

The number of spokes jumps up and down most of the time. I tried to
guess how many there would be in the next generation to keep it a bit
interesting for me.

> (which I won't "spoil" for those who haven't watched it).

Let me spoil it for them ;) If you look at the first few minutes, you
know what the last shot will be.

>  It's as though
> bypassing all the repetitions in the first part is "winding up"
> complexity that has to be "unwound" by zooming very deep into the
> concentric circles in the second part. There's probably a mathematical
> explanation for this.

I think most of it has a more easy artistic explanation. And possibly
also some technical explanation. It might be that this point that they
wanted to find at the end is more easy to find here. How much time would
they have spent in setting up this shot?