POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bacteriorhodopsin POV file : Re: bacteriorhodopsin POV file Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bacteriorhodopsin POV file
From: andrel
Date: 24 Sep 2010 18:41:42
Message: <4C9D2926.60707@gmail.com>
On 24-9-2010 17:21, Giuela wrote:
> I need to do an animation about bacteriorhodopsin, and I need to have the 3D
> model of the bacteria; before starting do try to build it myself (taking lot of
> time), has somebody the POV file or similar (for example mdl file for Moray) to
> give me, or knows where I can find it?
>
> Thank you

You can find the structure e.g. on
http://www.pdbj.org/emnavi/emnavi_detail.php?id=pdb-1brd
i.e. the position of all atoms (except hydrogen, you are supposed to
figure those out yourself).
Use blobs or ball and stick models to create the protein.

It is a bit of work, but rather straightforward. You can e.g. paste the
relevant portion in a spreadsheet, reorganize it so it only include the
data you need and add pov-sdl in the columns where required. Export it
as a textfile and you have a basic include file. Perhaps you need to
write some macros also to make life easy.

Unless someone wrote a pdb to pov convertor or something similar...
There may be something usefull in
http://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Chemical_Molecular_Modelling_Programs/

For the cell you need other references. but blobs may again be suited to
get a basic shape.