POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gah... : Re: Gah... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gah...
From: andrel
Date: 24 Sep 2010 17:31:38
Message: <4C9D18B9.6020907@gmail.com>
On 24-9-2010 11:02, Invisible wrote:
> On 24/09/2010 09:44 AM, Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>
>> Although if you know its a mathematical symbol you can Google that and
>> get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_mathematical_symbols as the
>> first return and just scroll down that until you see the same one ;-)
>
> And, like it says at the very top, "this list is incomplete". ;-)

It has to be. Missing is e.g. the one I introduced*. Symbol is a upside
down hat with two ears sticking out. Pronounced "Wabbit" and can be used
at the end of an equation to signify that the reader is not supposed to
understand why this equation is used until later.

The need for this symbol arises from the fact that mathematical
derivations are often presented not the way the idea came up but in the
reverse order. Mainly because that appears to be the style of
mathematics: never admit that you had a brilliant idea to start with.
This practice is meant to impress the readers, but mainly results in too
many kids deciding that they will never understand mathematics.

*) I did that in the proceedings of a very small conference, so I don't
blame anyone not to have read it.