POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why are web browser logos round? : Re: Why are web browser logos round? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why are web browser logos round?
From: andrel
Date: 3 Sep 2010 17:35:13
Message: <4C816A0F.7070902@gmail.com>
On 3-9-2010 18:48, Warp wrote:
>    Check out the logos of Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera,
> Safari, Konqueror and Netscape. They have one thing in common: They are
> all round.
>
>    This got me thinking, why are they all round?
>
>    My theory: Web browser logos are usually based on the "planet" motif
> (depicting world-wideness). The Firefox logo has a literal planet in it,
> but are all the other ones also round for the same reason?

There is also the constraint that it has to fit in a square icon. Other
programs often have an underlying physical medium to refer to (paper and
pen, film strip, play button, 3 1/2' diskette..(though the traffic cone
is an odd one))
Browsers have to be abstract as they should not suggest there is
something they can not do. Starting from that I think there is a good
chance that I would design something roundish myself. (as did avast,
itunes, last fm, google desktop, thunderbird, sunbird, blender, skype
and povray to name a few)
And indeed the planet association would be a nice bonus.