POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: andrel
Date: 21 Jul 2010 16:27:20
Message: <4C475829.9020101@gmail.com>
On 20-7-2010 23:41, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I am talking about both time and space. You know, that 4 dimensional
>> thing.
>
> I think the point that Warp is making (and I agree with) is that space
> and time is only a four-dimensional thing in our current universe with
> our current physical laws. If those laws didn't hold before the big
> bang, there's no reason to believe there couldn't be space without time
> or time without space or that the speed of light has anything to do with
> anything in whatever universe was around before the big bang.

yikes, my mind boggles again as it does everytime when someone uses the
phrase "before the big bang". I know it is counter intuitive* for many
people that time does not run infinitely backwards**, (and if I didn't
know it, this thread would have been proof) but that phrase does not
make sense. Really, it doesn't. I can not remember if I had the same
problem when I first encountered it, that is quite possible, in which
case it is a classical example of "trivial" ;)

>> below 0K and time before the Big Bang are both completely nonsensical
>> and for exactly the same reason.
>
> So you know about the physics of the universe before the big bang,
> enough to know that there couldn't be time of any sort before the big
> bang? How about light? How about gravity? Are those incompatible with
> "before the big bang"?

There is no before, because there was neither space nor time for
anything to happen.

>> Sigh, again: Big Bang theory says that the universe started with the
>> big Bang, so time did. End of story.
>
> The theory says *this* universe started with the big bang. But that
> doesn't mean there was neither time nor space before the big bang,
> right?

no it does.

> Or has science actually changed "we can't tell what happened
> before the big bang" to "we have actual scientific evidence that there
> was no existence of anything before the big bang"?

see above. I am sorry, but I can not explain it any other way. Perhaps
somebody else may help.

*) in modern physics things being counter intuitive seems to be quite
common.

**) my own model to cope with this concept is assuming that time is not
linear but slows down if you come closer to the origin. That way there
would be an infinite time going backwards, yet that would asymptotically
approach t=0 in the now fashionable linear time. But that is just for me
to cope with it, not an accepted theory. BTW There is also a problem
that you don't have anything to measure time with if you get too close
to the BB. If that is only a practical problem or something more
fundamental I don't know either.