POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feel the beat : Re: Feel the beat Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feel the beat
From: andrel
Date: 18 Jul 2010 17:05:41
Message: <4C436CA2.2070603@gmail.com>
I have been measuring my bloodpressure over the last few weeks twice a
day. This machine also gives my heartrate. My heart rate (at rest) is
68.5+-5.5 (62--87), so 75 is within my range, though not often. (and yes
I don't know why it was twice above 80, I don't remember feeling different).

Heart rate is also a function of size*. The longer you are the lower
your heart rate. That is why women have on average higher heart rates
than men. I don't know why the AHA does not include that in their
tables. If you are 1.5 -- 1.6 m tall, 75 if quite normal. If, on the
other hand, you are 2m it is faster than you would expect.

*) one site gives BPM for mammals in general as 241 / fourth root of
Body weight (kg) I assume this is for healthy animals (yet I should have
a heart rate of more than 80 in this model). Assuming that the BMI model
is correct it sort of implies that heart rate goes with the sqrt of your
length. I think I have a paper somewhere that directly gives these
scaling exponents for various measures, though I have no clue where to
look, it is from before the internet :(