POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prehistoric dust : Re: Dusty Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dusty
From: andrel
Date: 18 May 2010 15:20:03
Message: <4BF2E866.9090900@gmail.com>
On 18-5-2010 12:56, Invisible wrote:
> I had always assumed that the first computers were like current
> computers, just using relays or whatever instead of transisters, and
> with vastly inferior specifications.
>
> However, it appears that this isn't the case.
>
> For example, I thought they all used latch circuits for memory, but
> apparently not. There were things like core memory, which I'd never
> heard of. Presumably it's faster and cheaper to make core memory as
> opposed to wiring up thousands of latch circuits?
>
> Another example. According to legend, there was a time when if you
> wanted to run a program, you used a machine not unlike a typewriter to
> punch holes into a card. You "type in" the program onto punch cards like
> this, and only once the entire program and all its data has been punched
> do you even go near the actual *computer*. You feed the cards into a
> reader. It reads them all, and then spends the next six months running
> the program. Finally, you get a stack of new punched cards representing
> the results.
>
> Does anybody know approximately when this time was?

1980, except that it was the next day and not six months later.

> For that matter, does anybody have a broad timeline of when various
> technologies were in use? What are the dates for things like core
> memory, drum memory, punch cards, magnetic tape, relays, vacuum tubes,
> transistors, ICs, etc?

There is probably a wikipedia page about that, have fun searching.

> Was there ever a time when programs were entered into memory via
> switches rather than some other medium?

Yes. Use a hex pad like scott myself in 1984 and had a friend who had
build his own computer and booted it by manually starting the booting
process using a row of binary toggle switches.

New programs were enetered the same way.

> Was there ever a "punched tape" medium similar to punch cards?

Yes. E.g used for boot loading the machine in my former department until
1987 or so.

> Similarly, you hear people talk about the VAX, the PDP, the varouis IBM
> mainframes and Cray supercomputers. Does anybody know the timeline for
> these, the technologies used and the basic design and performance details?

Wikipedia again I assume

(Some answers on http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr)

> (Sure, you can look up individual questions on Wikipedia, but the
> articles tend to contain huge amounts of minute detail about specific
> things. I'm trying to get a general overview of an entire era.)

The page you are looking for must be there also.