POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: andrel
Date: 5 May 2010 08:05:26
Message: <4BE15F00.2010807@gmail.com>
On 5-5-2010 13:21, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> IME a thread with Warp dies when there is nothing left for him than to
>> apologize or at least admit that things might be more subtle than he
>> originally though. Although from his perspective it could also be the
>> point where we thick heads have made clear that we are never going to
>> understand his position.
>> We have made progress, however. It has been a long time since I have
>> seen "grow up, this is the internet" when someone explained why a
>> particular remark hurt his (or a groups) feeling.
>> Next goal: eradicate the use of "that is just political correctness" as
>> an 'argument' to dismiss another's point of view.
>
>   I suppose you understand that that kind of condescending attitude is
> quite irritating, and nevertheless you choose to write like that anyways.

yes, I wrote this in this way for a two reasons:
- I am not addressing you, though I am aware that you probably read it too.
- It is what my experience is. I am not going to hide that from anybody
because you don't like it. Besides if you read it it might be useful
information for you to know how people think about you.
- yesterday we remembered the start of WWII in the netherlands, today we
celebrate it's end here (and tomorrow we remember a political
assassination). That leaves me in a frame of mind that brings more to
the forefront some of the open wounds in our previous discussions.

couple of side notes:
- You fail to indicate what exactly is condescending in your opinion so
that leaves me guessing. Especially because it wasn't intended that way.
Now I have to try to figure out what part of what I wrote could be
misinterpreted. Being more specific will really help .
e.g. you could read the 'we have made progress' paragraph as
condescending. There is another interpretation however viz. as genuinely
satisfied that at least one invalid argument does not derail discussions
anymore. FYI it was meant as just that, because I feel that way. But if
you expect a condescending attitude you can always interpreted it that way.
- even after I wrote this you tried to play the 'political correctness'
card again.
- at no point is your reaction aimed at the content of the post, just
your usual whining about how I write things. This is at the heart of
what my problem with your style of debating is. In a sense it is
admitting that Darren is right, not by acknowledging but by example.

>   If your *honest* intention is to try to teach me something, you are quite
> frankly doing a pretty poor job by writing things like the above text. It
> makes me think that you are simply patronizing and mocking me.

I don't want to teach you anything directly with the above. Remember I
am not even addressing you. Indirectly it shows that I think your skills
as a debater are rather limited. That might be informative, but I think
you already knew that.

>   (And please skip responding with a "but you are doing that too" answer.
> "You too" answers are childish. You should preach by example.)

That is what I said too. ;)