POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: andrel
Date: 3 May 2010 16:51:56
Message: <4BDF3765.7040803@gmail.com>
On 3-5-2010 20:07, Warp wrote:
>> No, it's not about offending people, it's about the fact that in the US
>> the constitution specifically prohibits the police from pulling people
>> over "just because".
>
>   Well, then it's different here, as I have mentioned with the traffic
> police.

I assume the procedure is the same here as in Finland. It is not
entirely clear to me if it also exists in the US. So can anyone from
there answer Warp's implicit question/conclusion?

The procedure is this: the police fences of a piece of the road and
checks everybody, nobody excluded. Checks can be on alcohol or weapons
or drugs. They need to have a special permit to do so, often this is
setup as a inter-policedepartment action as the number of policemen
required is too large to be handled by a single department. If the
permit is for alcohol they are not allowed to search the whole vehicle
(perhaps if they find a drunk driver they can, don't know).

If there is more traffic than they can handle they set up camp in e.g. a
petrol station next to the road. They pull over as much as they can
handle and when someone leaves they take the next approaching car.
Skipping one because it is driven by an old lady and the next one is a
young person with a foreign appearance is not allowed.

Thus the racial profiling pitfall is circumvented.