POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: andrel
Date: 2 May 2010 07:14:32
Message: <4BDD5E91.6060304@gmail.com>
On 2-5-2010 11:12, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>>>   Why are people so damn obsessed with skin color? Criminal profiling does
>>> not have anything to do with racism. Skin color is just one feature which
>>> can be used for profiling.
>
>> Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pars_pro_toto
>> You were the one who asked us to stop nitpicking words and finally try
>> to understand what you meant in stead. And yes, that made me ROFL.
>
>   Then by all means explain what he really meant with "Based. On. Skin.
> Colour." if not "picking possible suspects of illegal immigration based
> on skin color is racism". Because that's what I understood.

Have you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pars_pro_toto?

Ok, "Skin" and "color" are generally used to point to any phenotype that
makes it more likely that someone is member of one group of people than
another. Could range from pigmentation to e.g. shape of nose. E.g. Obama
is "Black" even though his skin is just as brown as many a Mediterranean
guy that has an outdoor job. One of the reasons Obama is black is
because of his nose.
Even you can see the difference between e.g. a typical Dutchman and a
typical Finnish guy, it is common use to refer to that difference as a
difference is skin or colour even though I might be more pale than you.
If such differences are used to treat people different that is generally
referred to as racism, even though we belong to the same race (if such a
thing exists).

So having cleared that, will you now stop attacking people that use
these terms in this way and START LISTENING TO WHAT THEY MEAN.