POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How times have changed : Re: How times have changed Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How times have changed
From: andrel
Date: 13 Apr 2010 15:04:35
Message: <4BC4C042.80905@gmail.com>
On 13-4-2010 10:36, Invisible wrote:
> As some of you may know, I bought myself a crapload of CDs for my
> birthday, containing a selection of the very best music from the 1950s
> and later. And let me tell you, some of this music is very, *very* good.
> But hey, what do you expect from a deliberately unrepresentative sample?
> ;-)
>
> I've noticed several things while listening to this stuff. Probably the
> most striking thing is the track times. For example, take an iconic
> track such as Darin's "Dream Lover". It's so well-known that "almost
> everybody" who was alive at the appropriate time has surely heard it and
> would instantly recognise it. But did you know... from the opening chord
> to the final fade out, the entire masterwork is less than 120 *seconds*
> long? (A quick Google search states that it's 1 minute and 57 seconds in
> length, and that's probably including a brief silence at both ends.)
>
> Last night I transcoded 4 hours of this stuff, and I could barely find a
> track that was longer than 3 minutes. Almost all of them are two minutes
> and something, and a few aren't even two minutes long. A vanishingly
> small number exceed 3 minutes, and not one single one reaches to 4
> minutes. And yet, these are (almost) all iconic era-defining
> masterpieces of popular music, instantly recognisible to anyone who has
> heard them.

I noticed more or less the same with Tom Lehrer (mid 50s- mid 60s and
some a bit later), but I did not think of posting to get feedback.
E.g. the sort of still relevant 'Send the Marines' is only 1:46 and the
'Hunting Song' comes in three versions: an orchestrated one of 1:49, one
with an introduction of 1:59, but also one of only 1:19. OTOH 'New Math'
is 4:30 though that also includes an introduction.