POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: andrel
Date: 30 Mar 2010 15:10:51
Message: <4BB24CBA.7050109@gmail.com>
On 30-3-2010 20:29, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> hence my "We say that because we believe in Lorentz invariance" as a
>> abbreviation of a couple of paragraphs like the one above ;)
>
> Lorentz invariance would explain it if time was running slower or the
> speed of light was different farther away as well.

No, differential time- and lightspeeds are incompatible with lorentz
invariance of physical laws, because they should be invariant under
translation and uniform velocity changes.
In particular Maxwell's equations are lorentz invariant and they imply a
*constant* velocity at which E and B fields propagate (generally known
as c).

It might be possible to modify Maxwell's equations to allow timevarying
lightspeed and find a new invariant that for times close to our own
reduces to Lorentz invariance, but I have not heard of anybody doing
that trick.