POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: andrel
Date: 30 Mar 2010 13:04:56
Message: <4BB22F35.4090203@gmail.com>
On 30-3-2010 18:11, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>> How about the fact that the stars of the universe are all red-shifted
>>> the farther they get from *us*?  Or the fact that we seem to be the
>>> only creatures in the entire *universe* that broadcast radio signals?
>>
>> For the latter see the Drake equation.
>
> I'm familiar with it. What about it?

All we know that there are no radio signals broadcasted from a place
exactly the right time ago to be just reaching us now, send towards us,
and in a format that we recognize. Which is quite a long way away from a
conclusion that no signals are send at all.

>>> People don't say "the red shift shows everything is moving away from
>>> us" or "humans happen to live where time passes fastest in the
>>> universe." They say "the red shift shows everything is moving away
>>> from everything else."
>>
>> We say that because we believe in Lorentz invariance.
>
> Yep. That doesn't mean things are moving away from us. We can't measure
> whether they're moving away from us. All we can measure is the red
> shift. The assumption is that the red shift is caused by relative
> motion, and not the geometry of the universe.

I don't understand that last sentence, but that may be my physics
background.