POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: andrel
Date: 26 Jan 2010 16:45:37
Message: <4B5F6281.4000100@hotmail.com>
On 26-1-2010 22:26, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>   Wouldn't that mean that the police can lure anybody to do a crime with
>>> impunity as long as they don't identify themselves as the police?
>
>> Yes, at least in the US.
>
>   That seems to make the whole "entrapment" notion kind of moot.

Not really. A policeman cannot say to somebody: "my friend here needs
weed for medicinal purposes and if you can get him that, I'll look the
other way" and then arrest. But he is allowed to say "I need it as
medicine" as long as he is not identifiable as an officer.

We might think that is almost the same, but in the US the concept is
apparently that in the latter case the person framed would under other
circumstances also perform this crime.

>> From your question I assume that this is not the case in Finland.
>
>   Recently there was a law proposal to allow undercover police officers to
> perform minor crimes (such as pilferage) to keep their disguise while
> undercover (the losses to the victim being compensated by the government
> afterwards). I don't remember if it passed or not.
>
>   I suppose that tells something about how limited the actions of law
> enforcement is.

Sort of the same as here.