POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why we have juries : Re: Why we have juries Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why we have juries
From: andrel
Date: 25 Jan 2010 14:51:12
Message: <4B5DF632.2050807@hotmail.com>
On 24-1-2010 20:23, Darren New wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/22/AR2010012202273.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

> I thought Warp might be interested in seeing a story about why Americans
> think juries are a good idea.  I'm not saying I'm agreeing or not, but
> this is the sort of thing people argue that's a good reason for juries.

A couple of remarks:
- the judge in our system often catches these things, so it does not
mean that a jury system is better. IMO
- I think judges are more likely to catch this than arbitrary citizens
- This guy got a decent defence lawyer. How common is that? I have heard
some people claim that poor people often get lazy ones.
- The whole police operation is absolutely illegal here.

but if the Americans think this kind of exceptions is any justification
that is fine by me, as long as I don't have to live in such a country. ;)