POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: Physically Correct rendering Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically Correct rendering
From: andrel
Date: 20 Jan 2010 16:43:47
Message: <4B577912.7090604@hotmail.com>
On 20-1-2010 21:03, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Warp wrote:

Nemesis: again, you are not qualified to judge that.

>>> I haven't really seen any valid *technical* reason why something like POV
>>> couldn't be ported to CUDA or OpenCL and run fine on the latest 3D cards.

Nemesis: no, you have not seen a reason that convinces you. That is not
the same, given that you are not qualified to judge the technical merit.

>>> Most of the technical arguments against it are only valid for older cards
>>> (eg lack of double support, limits of number of instructions and
>>> branching etc).
>>   I repeat: If it's seemingly so easy, please go ahead and just do it.
>> All the material is there, ready to be put together. What are you waiting
>> for?
>
> He didn't say it was easy, he said there is no reason why it would be
> currently *impossible*.

Nor did he say that it would be faster using a GPU. Only that all
partial implementations are faster than POV.

It may be true that all requirements have been met individually (though
I seriously doubt that, but that might take weeks to figure out given
the large amount of research activity) and that there for there is no
reason why the combination should be impossible in principle. To reach
the goals shortcuts have been made and I am not in a position to judge
if they are compatible. Experience tells me that the change that all
optimizations are orthogonal is extremely small.
Just to find out if it is possible in principle would take another few
weeks of dedicated study. After finding out that they can in principle
be combined, figuring out if there is a way to do that that is still
faster than a CPU is most probably months. And then it has to be
implemented. When you reach the conclusion that it cannot be done within
a week someone will come up with a new idea and you have to start all
over again.
Given that most people here have only about a day per week max to devote
to such a project, we are talking about several years of work with a
high chance of failure. With a high change of starting all over before
the project is finished because of new developments.
If you do this outside an academic environment or a lab of a big
industry you don't stand a change.