POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: andrel
Date: 31 Dec 2009 04:40:15
Message: <4B3C717F.40407@hotmail.com>
On 30-12-2009 20:39, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>   I'm sorry, but that was one of the most ridiculous things I have read in
>>> a long time.
>>>
>>>   You are equating capitalism with racism? That must be the most far-fetched
>>> comparison I have ever heard in my life.
>
>> That deserves a price as one of the most far fetched straw man arguments
>> I heard in a long time.
>
>   And that deserves a price as one of the most far-fetched straw man cards
> I have heard in a long time.
>
>   You would have to explain why you pulled the straw man card in this
> situation.

It is rather obvious I would say. First your remark directly followed
gregjohn's chocolate from Africa remark. Going from Africa to racism is
completely ridiculous, so that is what prompted my remark in the first
place.
Second, you later indicated that your remark was not aimed at the
chocolate but at one of the other remarks from gregjohn some time before
that. That is still a straw man, because you take one remark out of
context and attack that. Third and most importantly, gregjohn said
simply that unbridled capitalism may lead to all sorts of wanted and
unwanted side effects like environmental damage, green products, and
racism (using examples that not only may happen but, at least partly,
have happened). Going from 'capitalism may lead to among other things
racism' to 'capitalism equals racism' and attacking that is a straw man
argument.
In short: you took one of the examples, pulled it out of context,
distorted it and tried to ridicule the result. Classic example of straw
man I would say.
I am sure you meant something different and more intelligent, but this
is what appeared in this news group, sorry.