POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: andrel
Date: 27 Nov 2009 18:27:27
Message: <4B106063.9050700@hotmail.com>
On 27-11-2009 11:12, Invisible wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> One of your main character faults is that you judge things that you
>> have never seen.
>
> So unless I've visited every single city, town, village and hamlet on
> the entire face of the Earth, I'm not entitled to have an opinion?

No, you should simply refrain from voicing a negative opinion on
something you don't know.

> Any specific reason why this only applies to me?

It applies to everybody.

>> Sure, there may be places in London that you don't want to live, but
>> there are also places that you could happily live in. London is simply
>> too big to lump it all together. Especially not if your only
>> experience is from  a casual visit to the city center.
>
> My grandparents live in Harrow. I'm fairly sure that isn't central London.

don't know, never been there.

> Due to my sister moving around the place a lot, I've also spent a
> certain amount of time in a number of other parts of the country -
> Reading, Guildford, Hull, Manchester, etc. Didn't like any of them.
>
>> I am rather sure that you have never been to Germany so your remarks
>> about that country are simply inappropriate.
>
> There's nothing wrong with Germany. I'm sure lots of people *love*
> living there. It's just that *I* don't want to live there. I'm allowed
> an opinion aren't I?

Are you sure it is "aren't I"? Anyway, yes you are allowed an opinion,
my problem is prejudice. This was just that, a negative opinion based on
no facts at all.

> Switzerland I've visited. (I've been "in" France, but only by sitting
> inside a moving car. That doesn't really count for much.) It's a
> pleasant enough place to visit, but I wouldn't want to have to live there.
>
>> Aside from that, there is still that problem that you may want to live
>> somewhere but you also have to work there.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Still, most of the populous of MK are employed. If everybody else
> manages it, there seems no particular reason why I can't.

AFAIK you are employed. Do work below your capacity, hate it, and are
not prepared to change your job for fear of the unknown.

>> ATM you are moderately not unhappy not to live outside MK, but you
>> don't want to work there.
>
> Um... is that a triple-negative?

It was intended as a quadruple-negative.

> I'm having trouble resolving exactly
> what the meaning of this sentence is.

Oh come on, dust of your boolean skills.
"you are moderately happy to live in MK'"

>> If you move to another place where they do have an interesting and
>> fulfilling job, you may have to move.
>
> If I move, I may have to move? Interesting tautology... But I think I
> get what you're saying.
>
>> Totally aside: is there a nice psychiatric term for your condition. It
>> clearly is some kind of phobia, but perhaps it is so rare that it does
>> not have a name. Anyone knows?
>
> Xenophobia? *shrugs*

That is normally used for people afraid of meeting foreigners in their
own country not for people afraid of meeting foreigners in their own
country. D*mn is there a way to phrase this in an unambiguous way? This
clearly isn't.

> Besides, technically a phobia is when you're "afraid" of something, not
> just when you "don't want" something. It's not that I'm afraid of living
> somewhere else, just that I don't particularly want to.

I meant the "afraid" interpretation. You may say that it is "just that I
don't particularly want to" what you communicate is that there is no way
that you will ever be prepared to even consider moving. Even is someone
asks you to fly to the states, you said that you rather quit your job
than do that (though indeed later on you managed to go to Switzerland).
Put another way: normally I am prepared to accept anybody's statement on
what they feel and think, but in this case I think you are simply scared
to death by the idea of change, no matter what you say.