POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: andrel
Date: 18 Nov 2009 16:22:00
Message: <4B046577.1030207@hotmail.com>
On 18-11-2009 11:35, Invisible wrote:
>>> (I know  some people use the triple-line symbol for this though.)
>>>
>>> The main confusion is between assignment and equality, generally.
>>
>> That is why most languages have separate symbols for both meanings
>> (and why I am advocating imperative languages without assignment).
>
> Heh. How many C programs fail because people use "=" instead of "=="?
>
> (Most strongly-typed languages manage to catch this mistake. C is
> deliberately designed to make this mistake a valid program construct.
> Friggin' weirdos...)

No, if they did it differently it would break other functionality.

>>> Or, in mathematics, between a test for equality and a statement of
>>> equality.
>>
>> Can you give an example of that?
>
> If I say "x = sqrt(y/z)", do I mean that x *is* equal to this RHS? Or is
> it an equation that must be solved by *making* x equal to the RHS?

Or is it the definition of z because x and y are known.
And there is still the other interpretation of being false everywhere in
3D space except on some curves planes.

> Similarly, this fragment can appear inside a statement, such as "f(x) =
> 3 if x = sqrt(y/z), otherwise 9". In that case, the "x = sqrt(y/z)" part
> is clearly a conditional test.

I don't remember 'if' being part of my maths course. Yet yhere must be
specialized subfields where it is defined.