POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: andrel
Date: 16 Nov 2009 13:36:00
Message: <4B019B8E.8010803@hotmail.com>
On 16-11-2009 18:00, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> And then of course, people will write "log x". Wanna take a guess which
>> base that is? Now, sometimes it actually doesn't matter which base. And
>> if it does, it *probably* means the natural logarithm. Probably...
>
> IIRC, 'log x' with no base usually means base 10, and 'ln x' is the natural log.
> But, as you say, depends what the local conventions are.
>
>> Hell, I've seen formulas where pi does *not* refer to the well-known
>> transcendental number!
>
> Now that's just careless.

Not really, if you have a scheme where s->sigma t->tau then p->pi.

The one I remember (though I forgot the exact formula) is for the energy
per particle in an electric field. Energy is 'E', per particle it is 'e'
the expression contained an exponential function that depended on the
charge of an electron.