POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Wave? : Re: Google Wave? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Wave?
From: andrel
Date: 15 Nov 2009 14:19:41
Message: <4B00544B.1030400@hotmail.com>
On 15-11-2009 19:35, Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>     If they can deliver everything they showed in their promotional
>> video, then I actually do see it as replacing email.
>
> Except for having very browser-specific shit done. Wave doesn't work
> with my Seamonkey, even though it should work with Firefox (which is
> pretty much the same).

I think I heard somewhere in the video that some things require
extensions to the http protocol and that they have a proposal for that
in place.

>>     I don't see it being a replacement for these newsgroups, though. I
>> suppose you _could_ replace them and still get all the functionality.
>> Well, let's say it's a toss up.
>
> With Wave you choose recipients, like with email. With NNTP you choose
> just a "forum" and it's free for practically anyone to read if (s)he
> chooses to do so. There is a major difference.

It is that everybody is able to write anonymously that implies SPAM and
that has already killed a few newsgroups. Because nobody wants to say
something that they feel is important just to have it drowned in SPAM.
This technology could function sort of like a newsgroup, but with known
contributors. Finding that balance between open for everybody even under
an assumed name and being resistant to SPAM will be difficult. I admit.
But let's see how they will handle that.