POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society : Re: An armed society is a safe society Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An armed society is a safe society
From: andrel
Date: 8 Nov 2009 05:26:43
Message: <4AF69CE2.80304@hotmail.com>
On 8-11-2009 2:16, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> The only "safe" world is one which doesn't include guns.
>
> We had that. We called it the feudal period of the middle ages. Guess
> what? It wasn't very safe either, unless you were the one that could
> afford the armor and war charger.

I hope you simply mean that absence of guns does not mean absence of
weapons. As a historic statement it is not very accurate. Culturally is
is slightly narrow minded.

ATM in most western countries guns are not part of everyday live, with
the US being a notable exception. I have never seen one in real life.
The number of incidents reported per year is here below 10. More than
90% of all these incidents are inter- or intra-criminal affairs. At the
same time, I do feel very safe here. Even though your chances of being
killed in a violent incident are much higher than mine, it is still so
unlikely that even you can feel safe.