POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 2012 : Re: 2012 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2012
From: andrel
Date: 25 Oct 2009 15:40:04
Message: <4AE4A995.1060201@hotmail.com>

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2009/10/when-anyone-is-watching.html

>>> Premise - Believers that argue for the value of the story, but not
>>> the literal truth of it, yet get terribly offended by anyone saying,
>>> "its made up", basically actually think like this: "We don't really
>>> believe anything that you have demonstrated to be absurd...while
>>> anyone is watching." Greta herself admits this is how she thought
>>> about some things, like Tarot, depending on if she was talking to
>>> other believers, or someone that didn't, before she finally gave up
>>> any belief in it at all.
>>
>> You should also consider the reverse: why do atheists get upset if
>> someone comes up to them and bluntly states that God does exist?
>>
> Annoyed maybe, but for the same reason that you would get annoyed at an
> adult coming up to you and saying, "I believe in the tooth fairy, its
> just too bad my teeth don't fall out anymore, I need the money." We
> don't get all that upset about people believing it BS. If that was all
> they did, there are thousands of stupid things people believe that would
> upset us. What upsets us is that those people immediately think that
> declaring belief in it means that they can, in the next sentence, start
> talking bullshit about others, condemning things they don't understand,
> undermining science, undermining freedom of expression, undermining
> cultures they don't like, etc. They don't stop with just "believing",
> most of them, on some level, think that the next logical step is to
> start pissing people around them off by telling everyone how evil those
> people are for not attending the same church, or how evil someone else
> they never met is, because they don't abide by X random rule, which may
> not even exists, as stated, in their silly book.

That was covered by the next two sentences, yes.

>> I think an important factor is that believing in God is not an
>> independent factor. It is connected to every other believe and
>> conviction one may have. I couldn't care less if the president of the
>> US did believe in a god or not if it weren't for the fact that it
>> influences his decisions. When I know that he doesn't care for nature,
>> because his religion teaches that man was independently created to
>> rule the world. Or that he was taught that those in power are there
>> because God wants them there and that they are therefore justified in
>> getting even more rich at the expense of others. Then it becomes very
>> relevant indeed. (I know that strangely at precisely these points
>> there are other Christian churches that preach precisely the opposite)
>>
> Meaningless. Its enough that far too many of them will turn right around
> and insist that every damn thing they **did** use to make their decision
> was meaningless, unimportant, and unnecessary, because "god" led them to
> the choice. This is the thing that pisses **everyone** that is an
> intellectual, from Christians who manage to mostly compartmentalize
> things enough to still think about it, to humanists, to atheists, the
> outright refusal, and apparent inability, of too many "believers" to
> believe in, respect, or recognize, their own thinking and how they
> reached a conclusion, and all too often, actually not just claim they
> reached the result "without" something, but the turn right around and
> declare, "And since I never need, or use X, no one should need X", right
> after frakking using X to reach their original conclusions. You honestly
> think that what we get annoyed at is mere "statement" that they believe
> in something? Man do you have a distorted view of the issue...

Uhm, can you run that by me again. Preferable slightly more coherent.

>> What is often included in any religious or atheist packet is that
>> believers are one group. In essence, if an atheist goes to a believer
>> and say that he/she got the facts wrong, the atheist is at the same
>> time implying that he/she is not really a true human.
> WTF? Project much? I have never heard on single person on my side of
> this matter ***ever*** make such a statement.

You never noticed it, that is not the same. And if I had reversed the
roles that would not have changed the meaning, though you would probably
not have reacted this way. I though it would be instructive to view the
matter from the other side, and it was ;)

[snipped a lot more open doors]

> But, heh.. Keep insulting people with accusations of accusations they
> never would make themselves. We are frakking used to it at this point.

Not sure if this is directed at me. If so, you missed.

BTW as you might remember I am an atheist living in Europe. Saul isn't
living in the US either. What you express is, I think, mostly anger with
the situation in the US. In an international newsgroup always remember
that some things are rather peculiar to the US.