POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finland is Cool : Re: Finland is Cool Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finland is Cool
From: andrel
Date: 16 Oct 2009 15:08:41
Message: <4AD8C4BA.9030400@hotmail.com>
On 16-10-2009 17:33, Chambers wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Finland-Broadband-Legal-Right,8858.html#xtor=RSS-181

We are not this far, though effectively 80 or 90% (I don't have the
right statistics at hand) of the population has access to broadband anyway.
The postoffice has an obligation here to deliver the mail to everybody.
(which is a problem if you allow competition at the same time because
the most obvious way to decrease costs is to deliver only in big
cities). This is the same sort of arrangement.

> My first question, of course, is how this will be paid for :)

In the end the consumer, but I guess that the idea will be to have
companies do a bid to be able to offer broadband and only getting this
if they also make sure they can deliver to anybody anywhere in Finland.

> If it's merely a mandate that access must be available, then companies
> will make it available and charge an arm and a leg for it.  This is
> probably how we would do it in the US :(

Any reasonable parliament understands that and includes that cost should
be equal to everybody. In a sense people in Helsinki and Tampere  pay
for the people in remote areas.

> Anybody have more details?

No, just guessing ;)