POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie needs help with first project : Re: Newbie needs help with first project Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:36:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie needs help with first project
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 8 Oct 2009 01:54:18
Message: <4ACD7DB7.9070106@joplin.com>
http://leroywhetstone.s5.com/

Jovian Ghost wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First-time POV-Ray user here. I've been reading up and experiementing, and
> decide I want to do something.

Welcome to wonderful world of POV!

> For my first real project, I thought I'd start small, so I decided to do the
> Chevrolet logo. For those of you who don't know, here it is:
> http://questautosale.com/html/chevy_logo.jpg
>
> Ok so, I've decided probably the best approach is to break it up until multiple
> pieces. The center square will be one piece, the crossbar another, and the left
> and right angled tips will be two more.

Good Idea!

> Well I'm finding it's not as easy I thought.

Been there!

> I'm first starting with the central square. Looks to me like it's a cut-off
> pyramid, so I created a prism with conic_sweep and a bezier_spline profile.
> Works well, but the problem is at the pyramid's cut-off point, the edges are
> sharp. I was wondering how I could smooth these out? I was thinking something
> like a lathe, except instead of revolving around a single axis, revolve around a
> path.
>
> I'm sorry if my description is not very accurate, I can't really describe what I
> mean.

I don't know what others may say, but I understand ya!

> Here's some sample code. (There's probably a MUCH easier way of creating the
> bezier but at the moment I'm very new and am just starting to get a grasp on
> things.)

  If this is your truly first 'real project' I'd go a lot simpler than
using prizms. There was a lot of different ways to round one but I
haven't seen one yet that I like. I would make a wire frame out of
spheres and cylenders then fill in the sides with triangles.

Have Fun!