POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My chickens and the cost of cheap food : Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 8 Oct 2009 01:23:41
Message: <4ACD768A.3050000@joplin.com>
Congatulations on raising 300 birds!

We just raised 100. We don't sell the meat. We eat it :)
We sell eggs. Brown eggs.
Half of our birds end up as fried chicken.(we buy mixed hens & roosters)
I've been raising chickens off and on for 15 years. I don't let them
run, where I live (the woods in Missouri) there are to many critters.
I have never had the chance to eat one of the hens after their laying
days are done, a racoon usaly gets them first.

A friend of mine had 40 or so Reds (I grow Bar Rocks)and she's tring to
raise them free range style. She's down to 20.

You mention the finances of growing chickens. I never did make a big
profit, even selling eggs for two years and counting what we would spend
for the meat of the ones we butchered. This year we already spent over
$600 and they are just started laying.(got 4 eggs)

  How much did you pay for your chicks? We paid $1.25 each. I'm
seriously thinking of hatching my own. All I need is an incubator and 23
days or so of electric. If you let a hen set on them then you have to be
real brave and quick to get those chicks from that mother hen :O

Have Fun!