POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: andrel
Date: 7 Oct 2009 16:55:10
Message: <4ACD002A.4020901@hotmail.com>
On 7-10-2009 10:19, Invisible wrote:
>>> Dikjstra's shunting algorithm
>>
>> Why don't you learn that Dijkstra is with an 'ij' that is a single
>> vowel in Dutch and actually should be a ligature in print, but this is
>> just another example of how the Americans have destroyed a culture.
>
> ...he was Dutch?

yes, and we have gone over this already a few times.

> Well, THAT explains why the hell I can't even say his name out loud,
> never mind spell it. :-P

as for pronunciation try dike-strah http://forvo.com/word/dijkstra/
gives one pronunciation, I would probably rendered it slightly different
for an international audience.
Here is another attempt including his first names
http://badibulgator.free.fr/Dijkstra.wav

> Apparently he was quite clever though. I only know about him because he
> apparently invented an algorithm for turning a series of expression
> tokens into an actual expression tree...

You should also know him because I mentioned him a few times here. He
did a lot of work in concurrent programming (e.g. the P and V
operation). IIRC he (or his team) implemented the first interrupt
routines. He did a lot on designing programs from specification. Many of
the algorithms he is most commonly known for were originally just
examples of how to derive a program from a specification. You need more
proof that thinking about your algorithm and documenting it might lead
to new insights?