POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: andrel
Date: 5 Oct 2009 17:46:08
Message: <4ACA691B.7020101@hotmail.com>
On 5-10-2009 5:18, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Chambers wrote:
>>> If that were the case, then shouldn't all the other countries with
>>> tougher gun control have been replaced by totalitarian regimes by now?
>>
>> Many of them have been. The USA is arguably[1] one of the countries
>> with the longest continuous government. (Altho I don't expect that's
>> really due to the gun laws. :-)
>>
>> [1] The argument being how you measure "continuous". One can measure
>> it in a way that very few governments are older.
>>
> Its also the country with the highest number of people in jail, the
> highest levels of drug use, the highest cases of teen pregnancies, the
> highest rate of violent crime, the highest level of science denial, etc.
> Well, once you discount places like the ME, since compared to them, we
> have only the "second highest" number of religious fanatics.
>
> Somehow, I would hate to think that "longest continuous government"
> requires any or all of these things, to survive this long.

As I understood it that phrase was for some definition of 'continuous'
with a footnote that other definitions are possible. IMHO you have to
carefully select that definition *knowing* that the US has to come up on
top. For any reasonable definition that won't happen.

Let me try at a minimal and sufficient set:
- still in charge in 2009 (to exclude China, Japan and a host of other
countries)
- a written constitution (to exclude e.g. the UK and the Vatican and to
narrow it down to countries. Otherwise almost any European city would be
longer)
- no major changes to the constitution (to exclude e.g. the Netherlands)
- major changes to the area of the country are explicitly allowed.