POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: andrel
Date: 5 Oct 2009 17:24:20
Message: <4ACA63FF.5000909@hotmail.com>
On 5-10-2009 2:19, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> How about arming the Russian civilians in the 80's or the Chinese
>> peasants with guns. Would that have lead to a armed coup to install a
>> democratic government?
>
> Uh, they had a democratic government, and took the totalitarian one by
> preference.

Well, whose preference? I think the general opinion is that the
revolutions were supported by more people than the change to
totalitarianism and that actually not many people understood what was
really going on. The last you might even say about Germany. Anyway I was
scratching the options from a list of possible evidence or suggestions
that having guns for might be useful in preventing a setting aside of a
constitution. Whether you formulate it as I did or as you did, these two
countries will not add even a weak suggestion that that might be useful.

> Most people in china are quite happy with their government.

Probably right, but also not quite on topic AFAIC.