POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google stereotypes : Re: Google stereotypes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google stereotypes
From: andrel
Date: 25 Sep 2009 14:55:57
Message: <4ABD123D.8050507@hotmail.com>
On 25-9-2009 1:30, Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     In many technical areas (except perhaps engineering), the US has
> been consistently behind those and other countries for most of the 20th
> century.
>
>     Yet it doesn't hurt the country much.

That is because it is freeloading on other countries investments in
education. For technical areas they have to import most of the PhD
students from countries that still have an adequate education system. Or
they simply import them after graduation. Even the ones that are
homegrown are mainly from asian stock, from families that are not long
enough in the US to have abandoned the idea that you have to study to
get a good job. When they have been in the US for one or two generations
they have found out that in stead of doing something productive or
something that requires you to use your brain, it is easier to study law
or something similar. Then you don't have to worry about getting your
grade and you earn more than when working as a technician or craftsman.

OK, I admit, that is somewhat of a generalization.